UW Extension Dairy Team
Drug Residue Avoidance Resources
Preventing drug residues in milk and meat requires constant vigilance from all parties involved in the milk production process. In NMC’s March 2015 E-Newsletter, NMC provides a variety of resources available for outreach and education regarding drug residue prevention. Those resources include:
- Stop Drug Residues in Milk and Meat of Dairy Cows
Michigan State University publication for employee training
- 10 Common Reasons Antibiotic Contamination Occurs in Milk
Minnesota Department of Ag/University of Minnesota flyer
- Why Should Drug Residues Be Avoided?
NMC article for milker & farm staff education (in both English and Spanish, side by side)
- As a Milker, What Can I Do to Help Avoid Drug Residues in Bulk Tank Milk?
NMC article for milker & farm staff education
- Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank (FARAD)
FARAD is a USDA-funded and university-based national program that serves as the primary source for scientifically-based recommendations regarding safe withdrawal intervals of drugs and chemicals in food-producing animals.